Thursday, September 21, 2006

Milestones

I have joined the technical age and started a blog. This project has taken me the better part of the last hour because of the immense pressure of choosing an appropriate name. Peripatetic and all of its mutations were taken, as was itinerant, and really anything else pertaining to a life of wandering and writing. I'm planning to spend the next several years of my life living in places where I may not ever find myself again -- namely, mountains, rural places, big cities, other countries. Perhaps these adventures will lead to some sort of epiphany about life, or perhaps just the true desire to actually settle down somewhere for more than three to six months at a time.

--------------------------------------------------

Here is a list of possible careers, or jobs in the short-term:
-- guidebook writer
-- political consultant
-- magazine journalist/nonfiction writer
-- media consulting for politics
-- historian (this may require a phD someday)
-- university librarian
-- restaurant critic
-- the person who writes and edits the wedding announcements in the Sunday Styles section of the New York Times
-- public health something or other
-- teacher
-- education administrator

-----------------------------------------------

I'm currently watching people meet on the sidewalks of Palo Alto. Margaret and Richard. Walked past each other with an intense look, then both stopped two seconds later. Turned around.

"I know you, don't I?"
"You look familiar..."
"I'm Margaret."
"Richard, I work at Spago."
"Oh, I managed at Stars when it was still there. Then Il Fornaio for awhile..."
"Working in restaurants, it must be that."
"I'm still at Spago, in the evening."
"I've done day managing for awhile."
"Did you ever work at the Gatehouse?"
"No, Osteria, and then that Mediterranean place down there."

Wow, the restaurant business is a small world. These people never really worked together at all, but were able to discern that they had crossed paths and perhaps an instant friendship will be made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home